pectoralis minor syndrome?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

pectoralis minor syndrome?

Post by ApolytonGP » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Anyone have any experience with this? I think I have this on my right side. Tweaked my chest a few months ago and have had issues ever since. I finally researched it on the Internet and learned the anatomy and I think I have a pec minor problem. following symptoms were almost miraculous matches with me:

1. discomfort below collar bone an inch from the lateral edge.
2. stabbing pain deep, deep in armpit (get it with swimming freestyle as arm extended).
3. Feeling of numbness in hands and sometimes "circulation feeling" in hand and arm. (from compression of brachial nerve and artery).

1 and 2 seemed like very different spots, by they came one right after the other time-wise. Now reading that they are both from pec minor seems to be an aha. 3 also.

Here is a good article: http://discomfortfree.com/category/pectoralis-minor/

P.s. I think all of my surrounding musculature of my shoulder is working extra hard on holding my humerus in the socket. And gettin injured as a result. I had a labrum repair years ago, but it has never felt right (never able to do pullups for instance). I been talking to surgeons and am pretty much ready to book another labrum repair.

Thoughts?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 am

Some self-observation and thoughts.

1. Farmer's walks (of all frikking things) seems to really HELP this condition. Just makes my humerus feel more like it wants to sit back and down (and same with scapula really). Makes me very shoulders back and t!ts out. Seems to do a lot more than rows do, really.

2. Probably some form of self-massage or stretching would help. I just need to be careful on the stretching to not be displacing the humerus out of the glenoid fossa. I feel like I can actually rotate it or even just pull it further forward...and mirror shows this. But there are some stretches that target the muscles, without affecting GH as much.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:58 am

I had that same problem, affected softball throwing and racquetball (area under armpit getting fatique and burning)..and when I go on all 4's as well it got tired..

I figured out why it was doing that....trigger points......when I bought the rumber roller (much better than the regular foam rollers) and used it the first day under my underarms near my boxers muscle and then slowly going up to my armpit area (holding it in each spot for a few seconds until I dont feel no more pain or tenderness, then I move the roller up slightly).

I love that roller so much...did good for my hip flexors too, now they are loose. I also use golf balls between my shoulder blades, loose too (no pain) and piriformis as well as the butt and tfl.

the only con to the roller is price..it is more than a regular roller..I think $50 or $60, something like that. http://www.rumbleroller.com/

I'm glad I am pain fatique/burn free in that area now. =)

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 am

I would recommend you find a good Physical Therapist with a keen interest in exercise/resistance training... You said it's been there for a few months so, to me you need someone in real life who knows what they're doing to look at it.

One hint would be, if they tell you that you have "pectoralis minor syndrome", find another PT.

KPj

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 am

yeah...doc is sending me to PT now.

I got a good PT (I think). He's more of a runner though, than a lifter shoulder guy. I donno. There's another one who is a big swimmer/shoulder guy.

I really do think it is the pectoralis minor injury. I have pretty much exact match of symptoms and some of them (underarm deep pit...brachial) along with the below collarbone spot seemed separate to me but now make sense and occurred together.

I think it is a result of the unstable GH joint (compensation) and then doing too much grinding reps when working out. I keep form but I go to failure...a lot. And even if it is safe, it's just my whole body is shaking and contracting.

I tried self massage ( can get at the PM from the side). Totally sore now. Not sure whether that was good or bad. Or how much of a tear/strain I had. Really haven't lifted heavy weights for 3 months now, though.

callipygian50
Novice
Novice

Post by callipygian50 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Was it hurting before you resumed lifting? Are you saying you jumped back in doing repetitions to failure after doing no lifting for 3 months?

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 pm

No. I still have not resumed heavy upper body lifting.

Massage hurt it.

callipygian50
Novice
Novice

Post by callipygian50 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Three months of pain that keeps you from doing your regular lifting routine? Sounds like a good time to see a both a physician and a physical therapist.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 pm

The first time you massage or the first time you do anything, expect soreness. make sure though just to be on the safe side if you can affort a PT, ask about massaging with a roller or rumble roller or whatever first. I am cheap and cannot afford those things, so I use my roller and massage balls for everything and the trigger points go away. thats not always the case though for everyone because there might be a tear or sprain or strain or pull somewhere

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 am

It's worth noting that trigger points aren't actually The Devil, you know. They can simply be a safety mechanism - you tighten up for a reason. The trigger points are there for a reason outwith the trigger point itself. You need someone who will figure out why you're tight as a drum and not someone who will loosen you up, make you feel great, then sit and wait for their next pay day - which will be a couple of weeks/months later when the tightness builds up again because you never actually addressed the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love soft tissue work. However, it's important to realise it's a completely symptom based solution. That doesn't mean it's useless, it just means it's not the be all and end all of every problem known to man kind :wink: . It has amazing value, in my view, when PART of a solution, but you're probably banging your head against a wall if you think it IS the solution.

KPj