s [email protected]#@!#! quat form. The never ending quest

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

s [email protected]#@!#! quat form. The never ending quest

Post by hoosegow » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Had to drop weight and tweak my squat form for the forth time in two years. I'm beginning to think I'll never get it right. I was dropping down too quickly. Consequently I was torquing my hips causing hip pain. When I slowed down I found I was scooping and not noticing I was falling forward. At least I dropped only down to 425 rather than having to go all the way back down to 365.

nygmen

Re: s [email protected]#@!#! quat form. The never ending quest

Post by nygmen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 pm

hoosegow wrote:Had to drop weight and tweak my squat form for the forth time in two years. I'm beginning to think I'll never get it right. I was dropping down too quickly. Consequently I was torquing my hips causing hip pain. When I slowed down I found I was scooping and not noticing I was falling forward. At least I dropped only down to 425 rather than having to go all the way back down to 365.
Shoot... I'd be happy walking out 425 without the wobbles...

It's a long journey huh?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:33 am

It's killing me. Knee problems - drop the weight fix the form, no more knee problems. Back problems - drop the weight fix the form, no more back problems. Falling forward problems - drop the weight fix the form, change shoes, strengthen lower lumbar area no more falling forward problems. Now hip problems.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:56 pm

hoosegow wrote:It's killing me. Knee problems - drop the weight fix the form, no more knee problems. Back problems - drop the weight fix the form, no more back problems. Falling forward problems - drop the weight fix the form, change shoes, strengthen lower lumbar area no more falling forward problems. Now hip problems.
Hey, your running out of places to have problems at least... Ha Ha.

(Yes it rains lollipops in my world sometimes.)

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 pm

If it makes you feel better, I've seen Mark Rippetoe say on his Q&A forum that his squat form is a work in progress. I don't think anyone is really able to say they've perfected their squat. You're still squatting more than 2x what I squat!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:25 am

A lady was training on Sunday. She was busting out 300 for reps with absolutely perfect form. It was the most impressive display of strength I have ever seen. I was envious.

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:58 pm

300! :eek:
I'm envious as well.

austintacious
n00b
n00b

Post by austintacious » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:38 pm

How or where do you do your squats? I do them in what you would call a cage I guess. I've never had problems with form. If your just placing a weighted bar across your back that kinda gives your body a lotta leeway to make micro-moves. If you're in a cage, the only direction you can push the bar is straight up with no deviation. Wish I could explain it better.

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:56 pm

austintacious wrote:How or where do you do your squats? I do them in what you would call a cage I guess. I've never had problems with form. If your just placing a weighted bar across your back that kinda gives your body a lotta leeway to make micro-moves. If you're in a cage, the only direction you can push the bar is straight up with no deviation. Wish I could explain it better.
Sounds like you use a Smith machine:

http://www.uams.edu/gethealthy/facility ... achine.jpg

Any "squat-like" exercise you do in a Smith machine doesn't actually qualify as a squat. You would probably be better off doing it with free weights (if you have access).

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:30 pm

austintacious wrote:If your just placing a weighted bar across your back...
There's a lot more to good form than "just placing a weighted bar across your back!
austintacious wrote: that kinda gives your body a lotta leeway to make micro-moves.
What are "micro-moves"?
austintacious wrote:If you're in a cage, the only direction you can push the bar is straight up with no deviation. Wish I could explain it better.
I wish you could, too. There is lots of room for deviation in a cage, if it's not a Smith machine. And good form does not necessarily move the bar "straight up with no deviation." That would only be the case if a machine is defining your bar path for you, which leaves a lot of stabiliser muscles out of the exercise.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:37 pm

:eek:
austin, my friend, I wish it was that easy.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:59 pm

hoosegow wrote::eek:
austin, my friend, I wish it was that easy.
I don't imagine much is easy when your "drop down" to 425, have to assume your max is well over 500.

How long did it take you to get to 400?

Any tips, other than squats, milk & food?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:46 pm

That is hard to say. I never max because I don't want to get hurt. About two years ago I started out doing 8X3 at 405. I've had to drop down and start over several times. I really noticed gains when I started concentrating on going parallel. Do them right, you get the results. Good genes help as well. I have short legs and a big mule, otherwise known as an ... I'm 6'2 with a 32 inch inseam. Practice good form as well. The weight will come with good form.

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:25 am

hoosegow wrote:That is hard to say. I never max because I don't want to get hurt. About two years ago I started out doing 8X3 at 405. I've had to drop down and start over several times. I really noticed gains when I started concentrating on going parallel. Do them right, you get the results. Good genes help as well. I have short legs and a big mule, otherwise known as an ... I'm 6'2 with a 32 inch inseam. Practice good form as well. The weight will come with good form.
What sort of body weight are you? 425 is damned impressive (unless you weight 425 :p).

I squat 265# for 165# ... and I am more than happy with that. Infact, I am trying to get my OHS up a little bit (stuck at 130#)

I had never considered that leg length could vary it that much, but thinking about it it probably does. 5'10'' with 33'' inseam.

On a another point regarding squat form, I actually saw someone squatting with an OLY bar in my gym and doing it with thighs to parallel. I honestly cannot remember ever having seen it in my gym (I have been there for 2.5 years). Aside from my girlfriend that is.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:20 am